MENU
Filed under News

Student Journalists hit J-Day

Co-editors+Evan+Ochsner+and+Anna+Schnelbach+proudly+display+their+Award+of+Commendation+for+the+2015-2016+school+year.+
Co-editors Evan Ochsner and Anna Schnelbach proudly display their Award of Commendation for the 2015-2016 school year.

Every journalism student dreams of that one field trip in October where Chipotle cravings are satisfied and where the spark to report the truth is reignited. On October 20th, forty PR students traveled by bus up to Colorado State University at Fort Collins to attend a well-loved event called Journalism Day (J-Day). Palmer Ridge Yearbook and Newspaper has participated in this state-wide convention ever since Palmer Ridge opened its doors in 2008.
Jack Kennedy, executive director of the Colorado Student Media Association, welcomed thousands of journalism students from around the state by recognizing various advisors that have inspired students, singing his famous “Free Speech, Free Press, Free People” jingle, and emphasizing the importance of the first amendment. At the end of his spiel, Kennedy brought co-editors Anna Schnelbach and Evan Ochsner up to the stage along with Mr. Patrick to recognize their bold move of endorsing Hillary Clinton for President in the latest issue. Kennedy presented them with a black armband resembling that of what the Tinker children wore to protest the Vietnam War. The armband was signed by Mary Beth Tinker herself and was said to be “a tremendous honor” by the entire newspaper staff.

Students then dispersed into different sessions with lessons ranging from sports photography to improving your online newspaper website design. These sessions lasted forty-five minutes and were held in various regions of the Lory Student Center at CSU Fort Collins. A myriad of guest speakers kept high school students engaged with jaw-dropping photos and compelling video clips. Trending Editor Starr Samkus (12) enjoyed the “Click This” session the most because, “it taught [her] how to have a very appealing website.” Editors are constantly working to improve the website (prhsbeartruth.com) in order to make breaking news available at the touch of a button.
After three intensive sessions of learning how to improve their design, writing style, and photos, PRHS students flocked to various restaurants in Fort Collins to satisfy their hunger. Jacob Cheeseman (12), Jonathan Olds (12), Elijah Montano (9), Tess Kelly (11), Starr Samkus (12), Jenna McGann (12), Trenton Wesolick (10), and Cole Hatfield (10) walked a short half-mile to the local Chipotle, where they feasted on burritos and quesadillas. Some argue that this is the best part of the day; however, most would agree that the lessons learned in the different sessions surpassed that of the wonderful food that Chipotle offers.
jday-178
At two o’clock in the afternoon, students boarded the bus home after an eventful closing ceremony, laughing and discussing the enjoyable day they just had.