MENU
Filed under Student Life

Final Exams Study Tips

With final exams coming up soon it is normal to be stressed out. Luckily, we have some simple studying tips to help lessen the pain.

1. Review right before you Crash – If you review right before bed, you are more likely to remember the material you have learned that day. This is due to the fact that the brain strengthens new memories while you rest.
  2. Be Organized- Gather all your study materials and organize them, making sure you’re not missing any important notes. If you have any questions, don’t be afraid to ask your teacher, they will be happy to help you succeed.
  3. Break it up- Break up the sections you have to study, and study them individually over a long period of time. This will help you feel more prepared, and less shaky the day of your test.
  4. Take Notes- Yes; take notes on your notes. Rewriting the crucial details and looking over them intentionally will help you in the long run.
  5. Make up a story- Sometimes it is easier to remember a topic if we make up a story to go along with it. For example, to remember the mathematical functions we use Please Excuse My Dear Aunt Sally (PEMDAS).
  6. No Cramming- Everyone has done it, in fact most people do it. If you want a really good grade, do not stay up the night before pulling an all-nighter. This first off deprives your body of rest, and secondly, the new information you have studied is only going to be in your short term memory.  It is most effective to start studying 7 days before the big day.
  7. Sleep- Your body needs to rest up to be able to perform at it’s very best. Sleep is the only activity that will help ease and rest your mind, preparing you for your exams.
  8. First things first- Focus on memorizing the overall concept before you move onto the details.
  9. Change it Up- Scientific study shows that it’s easier for your brain to remember specific details if you move around when you study.
  10. Switch- Don’t study the same subject for 2 hours straight and then switch. Instead study one subject for twenty minutes, and then turn to other material. This will help your mind think, and help it stay active.
  11. Quiz yourself- This is one of the most effective studying methods. Don’t worry if you get a question wrong while quizzing yourself, studies show that you are more likely to remember details that you forgot while in practice mode.
  12. Write and Speak- Writing it out will help you remember it in the future. Reading out loud has the same effect. Using all styles of learning to memorize will help. Remember that if you are an auditory learner, focus on reading out loud, but still write it out and look it over, as well as make a fun activity for yourself. .
  13. Understanding- Make sure you are not just memorizing the material. You want to actually understand it, and apply meaning to it.
  14. Treat Yo’Self- Give yourself an award. Knowing you’re going to tweet, play a videogame, or do any activity you enjoy, will help procrastination come to an end while giving your brain a small rest.
  15. No Distractions- Your phone is how you communicate with everyone you know which is why you need to turn it off and set it in another room. Don’t focus on the latest gossip; instead put your brain to use. If you want music use a laptop, then turn it away from you. YouTube is very distracting, so don’t get sidetracked on your way to play Selena Gomez or Taylor Swift.
  16. Right after Class- It is best to review your material right after class, when it is still fresh in your memory.
  17. The Right Group- Not everyone likes to work in a group, and that’s fine. However, if you are one of the few that benefit from group study dates, make sure your group is serious about studying. Those you are around can have a negative or positive influence on you.
  18. The Right Music- A lot of people decide to listen to pop or country, but listening to slower tunes will help calm and relax us. An added bonus: since there are no words, our mind won’t get side tracked.
  19. Relax- The world isn’t going to come to a halt if you receive a D on your math final. As long as you tried your absolute best, and gave it your all, you’re fine. Remember though, there is a difference between trying your best and getting a D, and being lazy and receiving a D.
  20. Be yourself- Don’t compare yourself to others. Some people have to spend 40 minutes studying, while others only spend 10 minutes. Everyone is different, and there a variety of methods that work. Work at your own pace.
  1. Use school resources- Coco and Cram , the Monday before finals start, is a place where students can go to study in a peaceful environment and enjoy hot chocolate and cookies.