MENU
Filed under Showcase, Trending

Rogue One: A Star Wars Story Worth Five Stars

Courtesy of IMDb.com

Courtesy of IMDb.com

Courtesy of IMDb.com

If you mention Star Wars nearly anywhere, most everyone within proximity to you will know exactly what you’re talking about. The Star Wars movies have made a name for themselves throughout the span of nearly two generations. You all know the story: originally episodes four, five, and six came out; telling the epic tale of common boy Luke Skywalker and his training to become a light saber wielding ninja of justice who would eventually save the galaxy. With an arch rival with a wicked cool mask and stellar choking skills who also doubles as the protagonist’s father, the Star Wars movies were a hit.
They were enough of a hit to where more movies were produced, telling the dramatic backstory of the one and only Darth Vader. After these films, the Star Wars series seemed to be at a halt, save the various shows and games that would come out sporadically, but honestly, the shows aren’t the same as the movies. Then suddenly, within the year of 2016, another movie was on its way.
The continuation of the story we all love. Staring a gnarly female Jedi and an ex-storm trooper, Episode 7 The Force Returns was an immediate hit. The Star Wars fans were on the edge of their seats; waiting desperately for the next movie in the continuously growing series.
Rogue One came as a surprise; it was the first Star Wars movie to not focus entirely on a sky walker or the original episodes. This particular movie can stand alone, it doesn’t need a Jedi to feel good about itself.
The movie opens with an example of the Sith (antagonists) cruelty. The killing of her mother and the abduction of her father causes our heroine, Jyn, to become an orphan. Jyn grows up under the watchful eye of an undercover rebel, learning to fight and lead her own life.
Jump forward a few years to when she’s an adult, and Jyn is in prison. Long story short, Jyn is recruited to the Rebellion since her father made the plans for the Death Star. Jyn and her crew of misfits manage to find the flaw in the death star. They retrieve it at a Sith base and give their lives for the cause. The movie ends with an iconic shot of the late Carrie Fisher, and the credits roll.
All in all, the movie was fantastic. It earned its place with the other Star Wars movies. The effects were amazing, it appealed heavily to your emotion, and, as nerdy as it sounds, it was kind of cool to see how the Rebellion was helped by people who weren’t jedi. They were just your average joes who had passion for the cause. The worst part of the movies the fact that (SPOILER) literally every single person on Jyn’s ship (the ship is called Rogue One) dies at the end.
Every. Single. Person.
As depressing as that may be, it gives new meaning to the sacrifices that the Rebellion makes to win the war throughout the rest of the episodes. Watching it definitely left me with both chills of excitement and a sense of death in my heart; if that’s not a mix that leaves you wanting to watch it, I don’t know what will.