MENU
Filed under Trending

Movie Review: The Space Between Us

Allow me to start off by saying: wow.
Walking into this movie, I had expectations but let me just say that they were blown out of the water in minutes.
This movie totally exceeded my expectations of being a “sappy romance movie”. It had much more science in it than I anticipated (which was actually really interesting and I ended up thoroughly enjoying it) and dealt not only with romantic relationships but with family dynamics as well. It even had some comedy and (not to mention) a few very surprising twists and turns. Directed by Peter Chelsom (the British genius behind The Hannah Montana Movie), the movie left my jaw on the floor, butterflies in my stomach, and a warm fuzzy feeling in my heart.
The movie begins on a relatively mood-dampening note. An astronaut sent to help colonize Mars dies shortly after giving birth to Gardner Elliot (Asa Butterfield), the first person to ever be born on Mars and later on a teen who is tired of living in a bubble on Mars and longs to be on Earth with his ‘pen-pal’, Tulsa (Britt Robertson). After finally going to Earth, Gardner escapes from his bubble (which is now on Earth), finds Tulsa, and they both start on a long adventure to go find Gardner’s father, someone who Gardner only knows through a photograph. Mysterious much? It’s a long and eventful journey, one where they end up falling in love with each other (duh) and learning new things about themselves.
IMDb gave this movie 6.1/10 and Rotten Tomatoes gave it a 33%. This blew my mind. I actually remember leaving the movie and thinking, “The acting was so much better than I thought it was going to be, props to them.” Butterfield (in my opinion) was nearly flawless with his performance, so it really surprised me when this movie got such bad ratings. Despite this, Faith McAllister (11), said, “It wasn’t too sappy; just the right amount. It had just the right ratio of crying and laughing, and was a fun adventure to tag along on.” Critics, however, claim that the movie’s plot is too over-the-top and that young love is already overdone as it is. Too each his own, I guess.
Back to Butterfield though, I really think he’s a new huge force for the acting world to contend with. Since his appearance in The Boy in the Striped Pajamas, Butterfield has taken the world by storm. His recent performance as Jacob Portman in Miss Peregrine’s Home for Peculiar Children won the approval of critics and fans of the book alike.
I really enjoyed the sound track as well. It gave off a really exciting, “get up and dance” vibe- one that makes you feel like everything is great and that it’s a good time to be alive. With songs from BØRNS, BANNERS, Ingrid Michaelson, and mainly Andrew Lockington, it’s pretty hard to believe that someone couldn’t enjoy the music that so beautifully pairs with this intergalactic adventure. I could easily see myself buying the soundtack along with the movie.
I would suggest this movie to anyone who loves love stories that end well and also has an interest in science. It is a must-see for any romantic, and a great way to spend a Saturday night. I guess you could say that this movie is pretty much out of this world.
And if you aren’t that into romance, then go ahead and watch one of Asa’s other films. But trust me, you’re missing out if you skip this one. It’s got a little bit of everything: mystery, romance, longing, adventure, family, and sci-fi. A good movie to go to with your friends if you all like different things, or even your family!
Want to see a movie for Valentine’s Day? Then I highly suggest this one.