MENU
Filed under Sports

LP vs PR Basketball Preview

After a nail-biting finish to the first Lewis-Palmer game, the boys’ basketball team is looking for revenge on our cross-town rival. The Rangers came out hot in the first quarter, outscoring the Bears by 3, however the Bears came back in the second quarter to end the half tied at 25. The third quarter belonged to the Rangers, extending their lead to four. But, the Bears were not ready to give up, making a comeback and decreasing the Rangers lead to two. Although we could not close out the win, losing by two to the now number three team in 4A is more than respectable.

Since the LP game, the Bears have had dominating wins against Air Academy, Cheyenne Mountain, and Falcon, teams who gave the team a run for their money earlier in the season. During the LP game, juniors Cory McLellan and Zach Hester both scored 13 with junior Nick Boldvich scoring 10. For LP, Angelo Battistelli (12) scored 10 while Billy Cook (12) scored a team high, 16.

The Bears were very happy with how they played during this game, however Noah McLain (12) said, “We can’t have that five minute lapse. We play good for 26 minutes, and then we have 6 minutes where we don’t play as well, so we’ve got to stop those six minutes.”

The girls’ basketball team had just much of a thrilling game as the boys. The first quarter started slow, the Bears being outscored 13-2. However, the Bears did not give up and outscored the Rangers 12-2, going into the second half down by 1. At the end of the fourth quarter, the will to win for both teams showed for the score was tied at 37, forcing the game to go into overtime. In overtime, the Bears showed how much they wanted to win and scored 11 while the Rangers only scored 4. “Well, we need to come out stronger during the first quarter, but other than that I think we did well,” said Sam Rippley (12) about adjustments they need to make for the rematch. Jasmine Sanders (12)added, “We just know we need to have a better start and come out ready to play.”

The Bears have an advantage going into the rematch because they know they have to come out stronger in the first quarter. However, the Rangers will probably also come out fighting. Carlie Schafer (11) scored 13 and Kaity Hovasse (11) scored 9. The Bears did not provide stats. However, during the game, Rippley scored her 1000th career point shattering the previous record and setting a record that will be difficult to break. “I didn’t know it was my thousandth career point until after the game when my coach told me,” laughed Rippley.

The rematch is scheduled for February 17th in the Cave. “It’s almost like a home game when it’s [at Lewis-Palmer] too, because the schools are so close, but when it’s actually in our gym it’s added pressure,” said Cory McLellan (11). McLain added, “I think we just have more pressure when it’s LP, so home or away, we have lot of pressure on us to win.” The gym gets packed with students and parents from both schools dawning either orange and black or blue and gold. “There is a lot more people, there is a lot more students that come out, there’s a lot more parents, and there is a big crowd. I think there is just a lot more hype around it,” stated captain Tyler Trego (12). “ [The LP game is] a lot more exciting, the crowd gets a little more involved and it’s kind of a cool environment because the whole community comes together over the same thing,” added Sanders.

Not only is the Lewis-Palmer game the last game of the season, it is also senior night. “It makes it more emotional and more exciting. It’s going to be a lot of different feelings at the time but I leave the court on a good note,” Sanders stated. “We have four seniors on the team so it’s always nice to win on senior night,” McLellan elaborated. “Well, that just makes it a little surreal, just because it’s sad and we really need to take advantage of the last game we have,” Rippley concluded. Make sure to come out and support your Bears Basketball teams at 5:30 and 7 pm on February 17th for what is sure to be an exciting