MENU
Filed under Op Ed

Letter: Government does not have a responsibility to pay for college

Reading the editorial this morning, I appreciated the arguments given, but I’d like to put some things into perspective.

It’s a nice sentiment to say the government should take responsibility for all our education. Student debt is truly a huge financial burden. But the debt of the government itself makes student debt look tiny. The government is almost 20 trillion dollars in debt, which equals to about $60 thousand per citizen. It goes up by more than $10 thousand every second. This enormous debt was accumulated by exactly what you are proposing: government handouts and programs. Excessive government spending is the problem, not the solution. The money comes out of taxpayer dollars, so either way the bill is on the American people.

In addition, Rep. Lundeen’s comments about colleges running “too far too fast” are irrelevant. You can’t simply discard the fact that it’s a free and competitive market. A thriving and healthy economy is best created when the prices are decided by free market and competition. Only then will the United States “keep up” in a “competitive global marketplace”.

So instead of looking for “solutions” that don’t actually solve the problem, let’s take responsibility for our own lives and work for what we want and need. Because the idea that you are entitled to what someone else has just because they have more is absolutely false. What the government gives to someone they must take from someone else first. Therefore, nothing is ever free.

Best regards,
Jordan Johnston