MENU
Filed under Student Life

Office and Teacher Aides

Many teachers around the school have an extra set of hands during some of their class periods in the form of a teacher aide. Teacher aides help grade assignments, organize papers, and other simple tasks so that the teachers aren’t bogged down by remedial work and can focus on teaching. The neighborhoods also have extra help from students, called office aides. Office aides run passes to students and help with attendance work for the secretaries.

Although being a teacher aide isn’t uncommon at Palmer Ridge, there are some interesting instances. Beau Perry (12) is Mrs. Ewing’s teacher aide, but unlike most other aides, he has Mrs. Ewing for AP Literature the class period directly before he is her aide. As other students are walking through the halls during passing period, Perry is helping Mrs. Ewing switch classrooms between fifth and sixth period. “Mrs. Ewing is a really fun teacher and I like being able to spend more time with her” says Perry. “Although we were already close before I was her teacher aide, I think we have become even closer now”. Mrs. Ewing says that it is very helpful to have another person there to keep things organized, and it’s even better having Perry- who she nicknamed “Beau Bear”- because they have such a friendly relationship.

Grace Glen (12) has been an office aide for Mrs. Berry in neighborhood D since the beginning of this school year. “I love Mrs. Berry. I never knew how social she was before being her aide” says Glen. When things are slow in Neighborhood D, Mrs. Berry and Glen chat or get other work done. “She lets me do work for other classes or do little errands for her when things are kind of” says Glen.