MENU
Filed under News

Microbes, electric vehicles, and astronomy, oh my!

Imagine a competition where high school students gather together (on a Saturday!) wearing their embroidered lab coats and neon safety goggles just for fun and to earn a medal, possibly advancing them to the state competition where they do it all over again.
This is the life of PRHS Science Olympiad participants, students who, under the trusty leadership of Mr. Dall and Mrs. Deloux, take on events ranging from the topic of pathology to engineering on which they may demonstrate their knowledge (or lack thereof) on the day of the regional competition.
This year, regionals were held at CSU Pueblo on March 4th. . Students arrived around seven o’clock in the morning to check in, find their school room, and prepare for their first event.
This year, the PRHS Science Olympiad team was composed of three teams, each of which had a mix of the under and upperclassmen. Each team had about ten people on it, allowing teammates to pick from a variety of events they would like to compete. Each team member participated in an average of one to five events depending on their experience and interest in certain subjects being covered.
There were a total of twenty-one events to choose from, including Microbe Mission (an event that tests students’ knowledge on viral and bacterial diseases), Towers (which required constructing a small tower out of wood and then testing it to see how well it withstood pressure), and Astronomy (a knowledge test requiring participants to solve physics-based math and conceptual questions).
Because each event only lasted fifty minutes and different events were spread out throughout the day, students could compete in several (up to seven) of them. The first event began at seven o’clock in the morning and ended promptly at three o’clock in the afternoon. Awards were then held outside on the CSU Pueblo lawn beginning an hour after the all the events ended, giving judges ample time to calculate the individual event and team scores.
Two out of the three PRHS teams that competed qualified for the state competition in April, a major success for the club. However, this is not the first time teams have placed at regionals; multiple teams have qualified for state for several years in a row. Team One, which included Jack Douglas (11), Gavin Hornung (11), Diana Araje (12), Duncan Salmon (12) and others, ranked 3rd out of 33 teams total. This team medaled in seven events including Game On (3rd), Helicopters (2nd), Hovercraft (2nd), Hydrogeology (3rd), Materials Science (3rd), Towers (2nd), and Write it Do it (3rd). Team Two ranked 11th out of the 33 teams and did not medal in any events, but earned 4th place in Astronomy and Game On. Their team consisted of Luke Leonard (12), Daniel Khlan (12), Emma Kerr (11), Kyra Rothwell (11), Alexis Olmstead (11), and a few more sophomores and juniors. The Third Team, composed primarily of juniors such as Ciara O’Grady, Lizzy Betz, Amy Keisling and sophomores Parker Johnson, Rachel Xu, and Angela Grayson earned 6th place in both Disease Detectives and Chemistry Lab, an impressive feat against all the nerds in the state. Although this team did not qualify for state, some of they may join the first two teams on certain events.