MENU
Filed under News

Rising 9th graders prepare to enter high school

Every year there is a 8th grade registration at our school that helps upcoming freshman choose the clubs or athletics they might want to join. The registration this year was success and had many different clubs and sports represented. From volleyball to Friends of Rachel club, the freshman who attended all got a better idea on what would be available for them during their first year of high school.
At registration, there are many tables set up for each activity. At each table, there is a signature sheet that asks for the student’s name, email address and sometimes their parent’s contact information. Along with the sheet, there is also a coach or a student representative from the club or sports team. This is beneficial because an 8th grader can get a better feel about the activity they’re interested in by talking to a coach or someone who is a part of a team or club. Also, if there are any questions, the person who is representing the activity can answer them.
Josh Boles (11) was at registration not only because his little sister was there looking at the available activities, but also because he was one of the students representing the PRHS football team. Usually, there are a lot of signatures on the football sheet because of the popularity of the sport and this year, it was just the same. “We got forty-five signatures. We usually have gotten around thirty,” said Boles.
To help 8th graders relax, many of the clubs may be doing specific activities to for the upcoming freshmen. For football, “when summer comes around we’ll have them come in for mini camp and for summer speed camp,” declared Boles. In the spring, the 8th graders will also be able to lift with the team. These can help 8th graders experience what football will be like before their season starts.
8th grade registration not only lets freshmen see the opportunities they have in the upcoming year, but it also allows them to feel more comfortable about what they want to do in high school because of the wide variety of activities that are available to them. Boles believes 8th graders should join football because it brings, “more players into the program [and it’s] fun and… it gives them something to do in high school.”