MENU
Filed under News, Showcase

Wind Ensemble headed to state competition

Our very own Palmer Ridge Band made it to state yet again this year! Our band has worked very hard to make this happen; now they are on the rise to take 1st at state! At regionals, 99 bands played at six different sites around the state. It was a 6 day process (February 27-March 2) to complete. The Wind Ensemble made it into the “superior” group, qualifying them for the state competition. There are up to thirty-two spots for the State Festival, and all groups who filled those spots were in the “superior” group and had a point range of 12-17. Palmer Ridge Symphonic Winds was spot thirty three, missing state by only one point. State is held at CSU in Fort Collins, through April 17-18th. Maclin Tucker (12), a member of the PRHS Wind Ensemble, declared that “The music teachers are incredible here… [our qualification for state] just shows how great our music program is and how great of a music community we have here in Monument.”
At state, the Wind Ensemble must perform a new song, which totals up to more than fourteen minutes of music. Two of the songs being played at state include Danzon No. 2 by Arturo Marquez and October by Eric Whitacre. Each song is filled with different moods and energies to fill the room with music and impress the judges. Mr. Eversole, the band teacher, was proud to share how happy and proud he is of his band students. He says they use the scores, ratings, and feedback from regionals to help become better musicians and prepare for the state competition coming up in mid-April.