MENU

Suicide Squad Album Review

Tunes So Good, It's a Crime

Image Courtesy of josepvinaixa.com

Image Courtesy of josepvinaixa.com

Starr Samkus, Online EIC and Trending Editor

Hot as El Diablo. Killer as the Croc. The Suicide Squad soundtrack snatched my heart in the same way that the Joker snatched Harley Quinn’s. Okay, so maybe he brainwashed or manipulated her, but that’s beside the point. What I’m trying to say is the soundtrack is lit.
The album features over twenty artists and a variety of song styles in just fourteen tracks, of which I’ll be talking about five.
First up, “Sucker for Pain.” You’ve got the sweet gift of Dan Reynold’s (vocalist for Imagine Dragons) voice, the gritty raps of Logic, Ty Dolla $ign, Wiz Khalifa, and Lil Wayne, and the blessing that is X Ambassadors in the background. The song is unpredictable, the collaboration is incredible, and it leaves me with goosebumps every time.
“Heathens.” Classic Josh and Tyler. With drums, dark lyrics, and the whispering of “Watch it!” paired with the sound of a gun, this track found its way onto everyone’s playlists within days of being dropped. And to all those who discovered TOP through this song, original fans everywhere are saying, “It looks like you might be one of us.”
“Gangsta” by Kehlani. If you could define Harley Quinn with a song, this would be it. The track is on the slower side, but that hasn’t stopped me from listening to it on repeat for a week now. Kehlani’s voice is unlike any female singer’s that I’ve heard before. It’s raspy but satiny and whispery at the same time. It’s perfection. And the lyrics make me feel hardcore and BA so that’s always a plus.
“Wreak Havoc” by Skylar Grey. This song is all over the place but in a good way. You’ve got a techno-gunfire intro (yes you read that right), strong vocals with an abundance of pitches, a lot of attitude, and a constantly changing beat. It’s a rave wrapped up in a little under four minutes.
“Medieval Warfare” by Grimes. I’d never heard of this singer before, but let me tell you, this song made me go from clueless to huge fan real quick. It’s definitely different. The lyrics are hardcore, the pitch is high, and the electric guitar is pretty sick. And then everything comes together in the end in a big crescendo that is capable of actually knocking your socks off.
Honestly, I could talk about this album for ages, but my talking and your listening are two very different things. The only thing that will do this album true justice is if you go listen to each and every track on it ASAP. Like right this moment. Stop reading for a second and go jam out.