MENU

Outdoor Club

Cori Dech blazes a trail for the students of palmer ridge with her new club.

Cori Dech (12) taking in the view.

Olivia Gilmer

Cori Dech (12) taking in the view.

Rio Lane, Co Editor

If you’re an informed student here at Palmer Ridge then you’re aware of the extensive amount of clubs we have at this school. Our clubs reach far and wide in diversity and range from Anime Club to Key Club as different students find their niche with people who enjoy the same activities as them. Some people may not know but students have the power to potentially organize a new club for our school, organizing an activity that they think our school lacks or bringing their own personal touch to the lives of Palmer Ridge students.
This is exactly what Cori Dech (senior) dreamed up last year when she felt Palmer Ridge needed another alternative for students to fill their free time with. Cori’s idea was Outdoor Club, a club created to get students outdoors and serve as a break from the daily grind of schoolwork and everyone’s chaotic life. All you have to do to start a club is schedule a meeting with Mr. Porter who can approve your idea and get a teacher to sponsor your club by letting you use their room to hold meetings and activities. Cori chose her favorite French teacher Ms. Sinkola to sponsor this club and after her idea was finally run by Mr. Gabel, her club became a reality! Cori’s main motivation behind creating this club is her intense love for the outdoors as she tries to go on a new hike or explore a new park every spare moment she has. “Everyone I know is always complaining that there’s nothing to do in Monument or even Colorado and I started Outdoor Club to show people that Colorado is a beautiful and fun place to live!” Cori Dech, the president of the Outdoor Club, appointed her best friend Olivia Gilmer (senior) to be her vice president because almost all of Cori’s outdoor adventures involve her and Olivia backpacking around the Rocky Mountains.
Cori plans to appoint a few of her close friends to be the “adventure leaders” of this club to lead a few hikes around Colorado every month. Olivia is in charge of the winter season as she has a skiing expedition that a limited number of people can sing up for and go skiing for a few days in one of Colorado’s many ski resorts. “This club isn’t meant to be stressful at all, if you feel like hiking one weekend you have an opportunity to and that’s all I wanted for this club” says Cori. If you’re interested in joining this club, Cori has created a Facebook page you can join and the weekends are held on the first and third Wednesday of every month at 7 am in Ms. Sinkola’s room. “I want every student to be able to experience everything Colorado has to offer because so many people take this gorgeous state for granted” says Cori of her goal this year for the club. Join Outdoor Club and experience the outdoors with people who love it just as much as you do.

outdoor-club