The Truth, the Whole Truth, and Nothing But the (Bear) Truth

The Bear Truth

Meet Little Women’s Madelyn Wible

Jonathan Silva

More stories from Jonathan Silva

Madelyn Wible (12).

Madelyn Wible (12).

Photo by Jonathan Silva

Madelyn Wible (12).

The starring actress shares about her character, her relationship with BNTC, and her dreams.

The premiere of musical “Little Women” is just around the corner, and Bear Necessities Theatre’s recent star, Madelyn Wible (12), is feeling excited for the performance.

In the upcoming musical, Madelyn plays lead character, Jo March, an aspiring novelist in the 1860s who was raised to be part of better society. “My favorite thing about my character is that I am able to describe her in one word, and that [word] is passionate,” elaborates Wible. “She is passionate when she is happy. She is passionate when she is sad. She is passionate when she is angry. So she has a bunch of levels, and it’s really fun and interesting to portray that on stage . . . She wants to break out of the shell [society’s expectations for women] and become a writer because that’s really where her heart lies.”

Thus, Madelyn easily finds a connection with her character. “I relate to her as I am attempting to follow my dreams as well as she is. I really want to follow my heart and do musical theater in college, and she wants to follow her heart and go to New York to write stories.”

To prepare for her performance, Madelyn is “trying my best to not get sick because I seem to get sick for every show.” Since her freshmen year, the actress has been taking vocal lessons. Over the summer, she started dance training to prepare for her “Little Women” audition. “I actually changed by audition song two weeks before I auditioned, because I decided I didn’t like [the song]. I thought it didn’t relate enough to Jo.” Now as the clock ticks closer to the musical’s premiere, she continues the extra training in addition to regularly scheduled rehearsals. “[My voice teacher, Claire Medlicott] helps me with vocal techniques, warmups, and she has helped me prepare for high school auditions, and college auditions . . . My dance lessons are shaped to what I will be doing in college. I [practice] tap, jazz, and ballet.”

“I love working with the theater company,” states Madelyn, describing her relationship with the rest of the Bear Necessities Theatre Company. “It is so energetic and ready to perform and ready to participate, and everyone just gets along so well. I love being in this environment.”

Wible receives a lot of encouragement from her friends, most of who are in the theater company with her. In addition, her family is extremely supportive. “They have helped me work on my scenes and my lines and audition. Whenever I ask if I can perform in front of them, they are always ready to listen. With my history of being sick in the past shows, they are so protective and they won’t let me do anything, because they don’t want me to get sick.”

Madelyn was on chorus and light crew her freshman year. She has been in productions of musicals, plays, and one-acts throughout her high school theater record. “I would highly recommend [being a part of] cast and crew,” Madelyn advises. “It teaches you so much more. You get to experience both sides of the show, and develop more of an appreciation for what happens behind the scenes as well as in front of [the audience].” Likewise, she has advice for other aspiring actors/actresses. “Commit fully to the character and don’t be afraid to look silly on stage. If you are in character, you won’t look silly. You’ll look professional and you’ll look like your character, so just go for it.”

“I am really excited to share the story that we have been working on so hard and just share the passion that we’ve put into the show,” Madelyn comments on Little Women’s upcoming premiere. “Everyone has just worked so hard. I am ready for [our work] to be displayed. I am also very afraid of getting sick.”

“Little Women” will premiere on November 2nd in Palmer Ridge’s auditorium at 7 p.m. Performances will continue on November 3rd and 4th at 7 p.m. There will also be a 2 p.m. performance on November 4th. Tickets are available for purchase right now at PRHSco.booktix.com.

­­