The Bear Truth

Faith McAllister: Athlete of the Season

Faith+McAllister+%2812%29+has+been+swimming+for+our+district+team+for+four+years+now+and+has+recently+committed+to+continue+her+career+at+Biola+University.+
Faith McAllister (12) has been swimming for our district team for four years now and has recently committed to continue her career at Biola University.

Photo by Mary Means

Photo by Mary Means

By Daniella Ferrante, Reporter

If you have ever talked to a swimmer, then you probably know that it’s actually an insane sport that I personally think could count as a form of borderline torture. Their practices include waking up at ungodly hours to go swim in a freezing pool and then they practice after a long day at school as well. Faith McAllister (12) is one of these swimmers. She’s a talented athlete who has been swimming for a significant part of her life. McAllister is about to graduate and is committed to go swim for Biola University in California for the fall of 2018.
When asked how this sport had affected her life so far, McAllister had lots to say, “It had made my life better, even though it is really hard and stressful at times. I’ve formed a lot of friendships and it’s provided opportunities like swimming in college.”
Being a talented swimmer has only gotten McAllister so far; she also has admirable grades. When asked how she handled that pressure, McAllister had a ready answer: “I typically try to have my homework done before practice or a meet… school always comes first. Sleep deprivation is definitely a thing.” McAllister’s personal records, times, and overall accomplishments (her biggest one being, “finalizing at 5A state in the 100 fly [butterfly]… for the first three years and the 200 I.M. [individual medley]… for two years and getting a scholarship to swim in college.”) McAllister’s overall performance as both an athlete and a student are really what sets her apart from other swimmers in the eyes of college recruiters. Finally, McAllister’s favorite part of the sport is racing in dual meets, not for a personal best but for the team as a whole.