The Bear Truth

Thing One, Thing Two

Don't worry, you're not seeing double!

Emily and Nicole Phaneuf (12)

Emily and Nicole Phaneuf (12)

Photo by Daniella Ferrante

Photo by Daniella Ferrante

Emily and Nicole Phaneuf (12)

By Daniella Ferrante, Fashion Editor

Don’t worry, you’re not seeing double; it’s no secret that there are twin brothers and sisters at Palmer Ridge, but they may be more common than you think. Though there are nearly countless sets of Palmer Ridge bears, we were able to acquire interviews from one set of twins per grade level.

These same sets of questions were asked to all twins interviewed:

1. Who was born first
  2. What are some similarities between you two? Differences?
  3. Funniest/most awkward/most interesting story about being twins?

Boone and Luke Blake, freshmen twin brothers commented that Luke was the first born of the Blake twins by a margin between 3 and 7 minutes. Though they both take similar course loads and enjoy the same subjects such as mathematics, not to mention their almost identical looks. However, they both have separate specific passions such as engineering versus government and politics. Finally, Boone commented that the two brothers look so alike both of them have just started going by the same name throughout the halls at school.

Sophomore twin girls, Audrey and Grace Gulig, acknowledged that Grace was the first of the two to be born. When it comes to their similarities, the Gulig twins both compete on Palmer Ridge’s Track and Field team along with the Cross Country team. Both girls also play instruments, however that’s where the similarities appear to end. Audrey tends to think of herself as more introverted than her sister. Additionally, Grace has a larger passion for literature and language arts while Audrey tends to lean towards math and sciences. Furthermore, though both girls share similar traits, they are rarely thought of as twins at first glance. In fact, while at ski school while they were younger, Grace was thought to be the sister of a different girl in the class rather than Audrey’s merely because of her dark brown hair.

Duke and Daniel Mattie, junior twin brothers acknowledged that Daniel was the first of the Mattie twins to be born first. When the boys were asked if they shared any similarities, nearly at the same time the two commented, “There really aren’t any…We have the same last name?”. As for differences, Daniel is taller than Duke. Additionally, Duke enjoys the arts such as theatre while Daniel leans towards sports, specifically golf. Finally, when asked about their funniest twin story both twins acknowledged the situation in which they were enrolled in the same English class period and while taking role of the first day the teacher earnestly asked, “Are you two cousins or something?”

Lastly, and certainly not least, we have senior twin sisters, Nicole and Emily Phaneuf. Emily was born a whole minute before her sister, making her the oldest of the two girls. For their similarities, Emily commented, “Our dashing good looks, obviously.” However, when looking at the two girls’ differences, Nicole’s, “Hopping on of the fitness train”, was acknowledged as quite different from her more artistic/creative sister. Finally, after many minutes of contemplating a worthy story about their adventures as twins, the twins formulated this response: We can’t think of any funny twin stories, but we used to have a YouTube channel, and that’s pretty funny in itself. 10 points to Gryffindor if you can find it.